Monday, April 29, 2013

The First Weekend

Chris started his training on Tuesday. He came home fairly late almost every night except for Tuesday and Friday I believe. Now that I type that it really does not sound that terrible...but there is something very lonely about having dinner warm and ready and having to re-heat it three times thinking he would be home soon and then wasn't. I felt bad for him, too, because he did not get much sleep and even the paperwork can be kind of strenuous when it is all new and for such important things.

Needless to say, when the weekend came we really took some time to relax. I feel better just knowing he is in the house, even if it means he is playing Battlefield in the basement while I'm upstairs cleaning. We got a little bit done this weekend. Cleaned a little, did some laundry, grocery-shopped, went to Prince William Forest Park, Chris got his weekly haircut, and I planned out the menu for the week. So far I have stuck to it. (One day in-haha!) I really wanted to order Chinese last night but we are broke, so it just did not seem worth it.

Menu plans as of now:
Sunday: pizza noodle bake (mom's friend's recipe)
Monday: sweet 'n' sour pork chops (2008 Quick Cooking page 162)
Tuesday: chicken marsala over rice (Campbell's Skillet)
Wednesday: pork 'n' potato skillet (2008 Quick Cooking page 256)
Thursday: TBD
Friday: crunchy baked chicken (2010 The Best of Country Cooking, page 45)
Saturday: padre island shells (Taste of Home Pasta, page 92)

Planning the menus are so fun, even if it isn't fun to go spend the money to buy the things to make them. But we have to eat and the people in charge of Chris specifically told us to make sure they were eating a lot at home, and since I would feel terrible if he had to eat in the chow hall much, I make sure to make a lot of whatever it is so he doesn't have to pay for meals. When we get done eating, I have been making him rate whatever it is. I have just been drawing stars in the books so I know if it is worth ever making again. So far, so good, but we have only done this for some cookies I made the other day.

I forgot to mention that the day we had the spouse's luncheon we all ate in the chow hall. I barely touched my food, but also didn't realize that there were choices--which meant I tried the chicken that was the ugliest, blandest color I had ever seen, the over-steamed broccoli, and the crunchy rice. It was just not good.

I have gotten up a bit earlier than Chris every morning he has had to go so far, just to make breakfast and talk to him a little and make sure he has everything he needs. I am not so good at breakfast so it's usually just toast and eggs or bagels or something of the sort, but I would think it is better than nothing and even better when he doesn't have to spend time making it. The trouble is that it is really hard to get back to sleep after he leaves unless I sleep on his side of the bed so I can smell him. This morning might be easier because the birds are singing and it is still dark because Virginia blessed us with some beautiful rain this morning. I love it; Chris is not as excited because he has a PFT this morning.

So, here's to hoping that breakfast burrito I made helps him get as many pull-ups and sit-ups as possible, as well as a great time on his run.

1 comment:

  1. Love reading about what is going on with you guys!

    I also like the fact that you typed the page numbers and cookbook on here...much better than those little scraps of paper I use to mark the page , and then forget where I did it. :) Rating is also a good thing! You know how I feel about cooking anyway, and there is absolutely no sense in making something twice that everyone thought was just so-so, right?

    Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete