Thursday, July 11, 2013

I'm a Nurse!

Well, two days of being a real-life, actual registered nurse are done. I have been training at my place of work for two days. Eight hour shifts are really fabulous, and I am appreciating them now knowing that I probably won't have the luxury in the future.

I felt a little guilty for not getting up with Chris at 0400, but I knew I'd never be able to get back to sleep for work. So I let him take care of himself this morning-even though I made a breakfast casserole so all he really needed to do was use the microwave, but hey, things happen. He must have survived because he sent a few texts today.

Work has been going really well. I feel like because I am so new and so ready to work that I am a bit more motivated than most. I am very concerned with making connections with the patients and making a difference in their lives. That is all I have to say about that.

Today had both ups and downs. The highlight of the day was the way a lady clung to my hand when we pulled her PICC line, and the worst part of my day was right in the beginning of the morning. It worked better than coffee. A patient chucked his inhaler. I don't think he actually meant for it to come my way but I moved so quickly I don't really know if it was aimed at me or not. He still took his pills, though, so that's a win.

Tonight we are hopefully going to Buffalo Wild Wings for dinner because I DO NOT FEEL LIKE COOKING.

Standing for 9 hours a day is a different feeling! Having a job is a different feeling! I forgot what it feels like to be a productive member of society. I am really having fun connecting with patients. This is what I was born to do. This is everything (besides marrying Chris) that I have wanted for years. Life is good.

I said "connecting" twice. I sound like an episode of the Bachelorette.

1 comment:

  1. So proud of you, and very happy for you too.

    Good things come to good people, Mo, and I don't say that just because you are my kid.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete