Saturday, May 18, 2013

Bodily Fluids


It has been a quite a week. I have been sick almost the entire week, with each day bringing new and exciting symptoms. The other morning I had a horrible dry cough, the day after I couldn’t get enough junk coughed up, the day before that I was stuffy, and the majority of the nights I haven’t been sleeping. My nose is absolutely raw from blowing it constantly. So the other day I find myself wide awake at 0230 and still up two hours later. There are some fabulous, educational shows on at 0230, let me tell you. (1,000 Ways to Die) Not to mention all of the motivating commercials. Also, I was REALLY hoping I would escape Cox Communications and Education Connection commercials when we moved to Virginia. That is, unfortunately, not the case.

The highlights of being sick have occurred at fabulous times. For instance, my fever broke the other day while I was on base doing important things. It started at DEERS, when the guy at the check-in said something really sarcastic under his breath when I walked away. It was something along the lines of “don’t be too specific or anything” and crossed out something I had written down.  I have found in my experience on base to ALWAYS bring pretty much every document pertaining to your life and always write extra and be overly detailed, because if you are missing even one tiny thing, you aren’t going to get a damn thing done. So I brushed off his comment and sat down, but I started to get nervous and sweaty. I think it was a combination of nerves and a fever that did it, because I was feeling awful by the time I actually got back to get my ID. Therefore, I look like a murderer on my ID. I just don’t feel that it feels right to smile on my military dependant ID, so I end up overdoing it and looking like an assassin.
After that I tried to find a soda to cool down with. I’ve been drinking Sprite all week because it is one of the few things that actually has tasted good. I found myself realizing that I was in the same building as the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society, which I have been wanting to begin volunteering for. I spoke with a lady in the office who explained to me what the nurses do. It actually gives me the same kind of feeling that hospice does. I have a really good feeling about them. I will probably end up starting out as just a volunteer, but that is important, too.

My next step was to get myself on TriCare Prime and have some questioned answered. We had heard that you could not have a gynecologist if you were on TriCare Prime, and that your exam would just be done by a regular family doctor. I was not very excited about that, because that is a difficult enough appointment the way it is. Luckily, I was told that the truth is you can have a gynecologist, so I switched over to Prime. I hope I have a female doctor, no matter what happens. My fever/nerves got the best of me in this office. I didn’t have Chris’ social security number memorized, and I can’t get a thing done without that here, so I had to call my mother-in-law and wake her up at about 0700. She doesn’t usually get up until 1000 or later, so I am very thankful she even answered but sorry I had to wake her up! My father-in-law is actually the one who was able to answer the question for me. I used almost my entire voice in the Relief office and so I didn’t have much left for TriCare. That, combined with the fact that my fever chose to break then and there, I was drenched in sweat before it was over. It was disgusting. I actually think the TriCare lady sympathized with me so she had way more patience than she maybe normally would have. I must have looked terrible.

I was so proud of myself for getting so much done. I still had a few things to do but once I got home, I was completely wiped out. Even making a few phone calls seemed strenuous so I just kind of put them off until the next day.

Yesterday was an odd day for me. I suspect that Ruby has a UTI and I feel bad because I know that can’t be comfortable, and it also means that she has to pee very often, and it smells HORRIBLE. So I never let her out of my sight because I can’t trust her to be alone in another room (she already peed on our rugs more than a couple of times). Sometimes I think she does things just to piss me off, but this time it was out of her control. SO now I have a baby on my hands, because I get up a couple of times during the night to take her out just in case. Dogs really do prepare you for kids. Luckily, ours aren’t too much work most of the time.

Since I suspected Ruby had a UTI, I had to get an appointment. I got one for Tuesday, because the vet gives out military discounts on Tuesday. (Thanks, but seriously?) So I have an appointment for Tuesday but I had to get a urine sample to them first. So imagine this: Moriah goes outside wearing hot pink and zebra gloves up to her elbows with a Styrofoam cup in hand and a dog on a leash. I look around to make sure no neighbors were watching. (One was, but his name is Ash and he is a cat. He WAS giving me quite the look from the window next door.) The first time I stuck the cup under her, I was not mentally prepared so I only got a tiny sample.

Crap.

That means I had to do it again. So the next time we go out, same outfit, same cup. Ruby is suspicious because she knows for some reason I am saving HER urine. So this time, not only to I have to stick the cup under her, I also have to try to keep her from getting away from me.

SO awkward. Not to mention the entire time she is looking at me like, “What the hell?!”

Regardless, second try was a charm and I got enough to take into the vet. I truly, truly hope it is a UTI so we can put this mess behind us. She’s old; this type of thing is going to happen.

After I dropped off the urine sample, I had to mail a letter. I-95 was backed up, nut-to-butt traffic all day long, so Jefferson Davis Highway was just as terrible. Rather than sit in traffic to drive two miles, I decided to go to the Quantico USPS and drop off my letters. I then drove across base to come out on the other side by TBS. It was definitely smarter to drive all the way across than to sit in the traffic when it is 90 out. Don’t get me wrong, my air conditioner works great, but I get SO frustrated sitting in traffic.

Rachele called me when I was just about to her apartment complex because I was an hour and fifteen minutes late (thank errands and traffic). The girls had been outside tanning since about 1300 and wanted to make sure I was okay. It was so much fun to sit outside with the girls. There were about ten of us in the beginning, and a few dropped off one by one. We joked about how we all just live like we are on vacation; we sit around and drink in the afternoon and tan. This is the third or fourth time I have been outside trying to get some color, and every time I forgot to roll over on my back. So the back half of my body is starting to become a normal skin color, while the front of my body is still a translucent white color. I look like a deep sea creature.

We hung out for a few hours. It was a lot of fun. Time with the girls always goes SO quickly because we all get to laughing and before you know it, two hours have gone by. It’s really nice to go to Rachele’s because there are five other girls who live right there in that complex.
After we all decided we had had enough sun for the today, Rachele and I decided to go to Target and look at swimsuits. That girl is an enabler. She didn’t talk me out of buying two swimsuits, and she did the same thing. I didn’t have any strapless suits, so if I didn’t get one I was going to get some gnarly tan lines. Luckily Target swimsuits aren’t too spendy and are super cute. Rachele was cracking me up because she had had enough hard ciders to speak her mind. A girl walked out of the dressing room in something striped and she goes, “Are you going to wear a belt with that?” I don’t even know what she was thinking about the outfit but once we got away from the girl she says, “I saw a fashion disaster coming, and I couldn’t let it happen.” This girl cracks me up. I love being around her.

It’s funny because we have really kind of developed a clique already now that we are here. There are four boys, and their four wives, and we always seem to meet up. If we aren’t hanging out already during the week, we find each other on the weekends. It seems like as soon as we are away from each other, we are already texting each other and giggling like little school girls (the boys do this, too). Chris says when the four of them are leaving, they end up waiting around for each other, so sometimes he will wait half an hour or so just to walk out with the other guys. Aren’t they adorable?

What I hate about meeting these people is knowing that in six months, we might all be away from each other. I’m not saying that we can’t visit each other, but it is hard knowing that we are going to be almost inseparable for the next few months, and then have to move on and make new friends! It’s a very odd thing to think about, I guess.

But you know we will each other again someday. In the military, you always see each other again. Like, how is this for crazy? Yesterday I drove on base and the sentry at the gate looks at my license plate and says, “13-county? What is that, Norfolk?” And of course, I am like, “OH MY GOD, ARE YOU FROM NEBRASKA?” And he says, yes! I tell him I am from Randolph and he replies, “No way. I grew up in Wayne.” I told him I hadn’t met anyone from Nebraska here yet and he told me that there are PLENTY of people here from Nebraska. That made me happy. It’s not like I need to have Nebraska friends, it’s just nice to see people who probably miss Nebraska in the sense that I do. I don’t even know how to explain it, I just miss the random, weird things about it.

My friends Megan and Sean are getting married next weekend, and it’s really sad to think about missing out on that. She was my ROCK during nursing school, and I would LOVE to be there for her. Not to mention I know it would be a great time.

The other thing I am missing out on is my five-year high school reunion. I can’t say that I am too sad about this, because the only thing I’ve really changed about my life since then is graduated college and got married. And I saw a lot of the people I am still close to before I left. Most of them have drill that weekend, so there won’t be a lot of us there anyway. It is so hard to get everybody together.

Chris and I are at the end of our illnesses today. He and I cough up junk about every five minutes. If it’s a really good one, one of yells, “GET SOME!” to the other. We are kind of gross people. When I hardly see Chris all week, I kind of forget how gross he can be. But he’s so cute I don’t even care. Sigh. This is definitely still the honeymoon stage of our marriage. For instance, I was trying to take a video of his face while he was playing Battlefield. He makes this weird, lip-curling face while he is shooting on the game, (can someone tell me if he does this in real life?) and it makes me laugh so hard. So, I have been trying to get a video of him doing this all week. He didn’t know I was taping him today and I didn’t get a video of his face, but I did get a video of him PICKING HIS NOSE. It wasn’t like a hardcore crater dig or anything like that, but it was enough to make me laugh and run away with my phone. He chased me and wrestled me down to steal the phone back. He knew he had been caught.

I never knew that someone could be so disgusting and sexy at the same time.

Sorry for the mush. End rant.


1 comment:

  1. Great post...well, not so much the dog pee and human bodily fluids part, but you know, you are just keeping it real. :)

    How cool about meeting the guy from Nebraska-it is a small world most of the time, isn't it?

    Rachelle as a shopping partner sounds like Sharolyn. We totally suck at talking the other out of stuff to buy.

    And a murdering assassin as a picture ID? BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete