Friday, May 10, 2013

Military Spouse Appreciation Day


It’s Friday, which means two things.

It’s garbage day, and I will perpetually have Rebecca Black’s song “It’s Friday” in my head. I pointed the fact to Chris out this morning that it was Friday and asked if he knew what that meant. He looked at me with question in his eyes. I smiled and sang, “Garbage day!” And he pouted. Even though he looked adorable, I stood my ground. So my husband took the garbage out in his skivvies and his short-shorts. Lucky neighbors might have had a peek.

I think it’s fair that Chris has a couple of jobs he has to do every once in a while. Garbage is his… actually, that might be his only job now that I think about it. Oh, and rinsing off his dishes. The other day I slacked; I told him he could leave it in the sink and I would take care of it. He was okay with that. One day passes, he has breakfast, and he tries to do it again. I marched up to him, turned him back around toward the sink, and pushed him toward it. No slack here mister, because he will take it and run.

So I’ve been singing “It’s Friday” all morning but changing up the words in my head.
It’s Friday, Friday, Chris comes home on Friday
And I get him for the whole weekend, weekend
Friday, Friday, coming home on Friday
We’re gonna hang out a-all wee-eekend

You can see that I occupy my time with very important things here in Virginia.

I’ll be spending my week feeling sorry for myself because my favorite show of all time is ending in a week. I started watching it when I was in high school because my friend Lucas told me I needed to. He was right; I loved it. I own almost all of the seasons and I would watch a whole season on my bad days. When I moved to Omaha and my on-again, off-again was off for the billionth time, I watched it. And I felt better. I didn't have any friends in Omaha yet and I didn't know who to turn to. I missed my best friend I left in South Dakota. It seems sad that a show can really pick you up and make you feel better, but it did. I owe the Office for getting me through some of the hardest days I have had.

It’s Military Spouse Appreciation Day. My first and I've had two people wish me that already this morning. How sweet is it that? I don’t even know that I knew this day existed before we came here. It’s kind of odd because I've technically been a military spouse for less than a month. (Chris began active duty toward the end of April.) So far, though, I already adore my fellow military spouses. We are all so different but yet have so much in common. We bring such great things to the table and we always have a blast together. And we get together almost every other day. Why not? Not a lot of other things going on so we might as well spend time with the people we enjoy. Not to mention six months will go fast and we are going to have to leave each other. I know about three of the girls who will be going to Pensacola as well as us after this.

I decided to sit out and try to get a little tan today. I sent a quick text and Rachele and Amber came over with dedication for some color. We sat out on the deck for at least a couple of hours. I served them some of my leftover Swiss mushroom chicken. They loved it as much as Chris and I did! Rachele turned a little red. I have a weird tan line on my back that looks like Gumby drowning. (No idea how that happened.) And Amber turned out okay but we will definitely have to make that a regular thing because we really enjoyed it. I feel like I’ve known these girls forever! It’s so easy to talk to them.

Chris is going to get home in a couple of hours. I hate that he will be home late on a Friday like this but I have managed to keep myself busy. I was going to make Coconut Shrimp but I’m not feeling it now, so I have decided to change it up and make some tacos! I froze avocados for the first time ever, and so far so good, they look okay! I wasn't in the kitchen much today except to clean up. Nalli and Ruby spent most of their time outside today. It was super hot, and it’s weird that it’s hard to get Nalli to want to come inside when it’s like that! Our basement stays pretty cool throughout the day, but I can’t trust Ruby to be down here by herself.

Tomorrow we are going to try out Capitol Ale House. I got a Living Social deal so that will help on cost. I have a feeling we might love it there. There are ONLY 250 beers to pick from, so it shouldn't be too hard to choose. I am SO excited to try Virginia beers. I hope they will let me collect the bottle caps from the Virginia beers. I want to make a shadow box with bottle caps from Virginia. I already have the supplies to do it for Nebraska!
http://www.capitalalehouse.com/

There are lots of other things to write about, and I could continue to watch Storage Wars for hours, but I need to shower after a round of Insanity and start working on tacos! 

2 comments:

  1. I read the Capital Ale House in Fredericksburg has 300 beers, not just 250. :P 50 more to choose from! Whoot! I think you should try one from the Blue & Gray Brewing Co. It is a cool name, and it is a brewery from Fredericksburg! Just sayin'. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I want to go there. That is all.

    ReplyDelete