Thursday, June 6, 2013

D.C. Failure

Yesterday my friends Amber and Rachele rode with Rachele's sister and sister-in-law on the Metro to Washington, D.C. They had a bunch of things they wanted to see while they were here. I was excited to go and get a feel for how to take my parents on a tour when they come in August.

We failed miserably. It wasn't our fault really--it's just that you can't really see anything when you get off the Metro. So we saw a corner of the Pentagon (I'm sure they all look the same), bits and pieces of the Capitol building, the Supreme Court was under construction (as was the Washington Monument), Ford Theatre, and we couldn't get to the back of the White House. So basically, we just generally, sort of, looked in the direction of everything and didn't get very close.

We had a decent lunch, stopped for a drink a little later (we needed it, for sure), and we really hadn't been out that long when we decided we were done with D.C. and it was time to go home. It was good timing-I was a little cranky-pants by that time. I think I was just tired because I got up with Chris when he left but couldn't get back to sleep.

I got home and had to go out and water my plants because it was blistering hot (as usual). Thankfully I didn't have to today since it rained, which was great because it was a busy day! Sarah and I ran 5.23 miles by Marine Corps University. The majority of it was under construction so it was yet again another awkward run for Moriah and Sarah, but we pushed through. There was lots to talk about today so that always helps!

After running I came back and cleaned the house up and then myself. I went to the Navy Marine Corps Relief Society to start talking to them about volunteering. I have been there a few times before but this time I got a nice tour and got to sit down with one of the nurses who works there. She was one of the first people I have talked to here in nursing who has told me to keep my head up because eventually the right thing will come along. I have this gut feeling that she is right; I really appreciated her talking to me today. The director of the Society is great as well; she and I always jump into great conversations. Whether I work there or volunteer there, I think that is one of those places I am just meant to be at.

I made a Runza casserole tonight. My belly aches for some sweet, succulent Runzas frequently, so I had to squelch the obsession. Chris was super excited and gave it 5/5. I will definitely be making that again because it is SO much easier than making actual homemade Runzas. The teeny bit of leftovers that I did have (out of a 9x13) are going with him tomorrow for lunch.

I'm excited for tomorrow-I'm having my friend Kelli over (on her birthday!) and making her cupcakes and drinks. I would spill on what kind of cupcakes they are but they are so amazing I have to surprise her! Needless to say, there probably won't be many left. :) She and her husband are hosting a cookout this weekend so I am looking forward to that as well.

Ruby has decided not to change her evil ways...so instead of peeing on things she thinks it is fun to barf on things now. She is really doing her best to ruin my life. I appreciate the effort.


1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry you had a tough time getting around DC! I just moved to WA after living in DC for two years and I miss the District so much. I will say though, there are secrets of getting around and you need to walk a lot (fast). If you want some suggestions of cool restaurants, museums, and neighborhoods that are unique let me know! Please take advantage of your time near the District. It's an amazing place!

    ReplyDelete