Sunday, June 23, 2013

Making New Friends is Like Dating

I could also call this post, "Karma", but we will cover both topics today.

Yesterday was Chris and I's day to celebrate my birthday. We started out the day looking at pistols in Quantico-Town. Chris has been trying to decide what he wants for awhile now, so we went to look in because this is the type of decision he wants me to have some input on. I am most concerned about the gun having a safety on it, because most of them have a pseudo-safety, meaning you have to push on the bottom of the trigger for it to work. I just think about kids, even though they are years away for us, I get really worried. But the guy at the gun shop did put it fairly, that you teach your kids to respect the gun and make sure it is somewhere they can't get to it. And not to be surprised at what they can get at. We didn't walk out of the shop with a gun, but it is definitely on the horizon. There are times when I wouldn't mind if we had one.

It will happen sooner or later; Chris has been obsessed with the idea.

We moved on to the exchange because Chris needs a new Alpha coat-his old one is too short. We actually found one there and the ladies in the tailor said it was "made for him". I found him some shorts because the pair he was wearing at the moment had a two-inch long hole in the butt. I really don't think he is allowed to wear things like that out anymore.

At home, he was standing next to me and I decided it would be funny to rip the shorts all the way down and make a GIGANTIC hole. So I did. Chris doesn't get mad often, but he did. Apparently they were his favorite shorts... even though I haven't seen him wear them in a year, there is a hole in the back as well as the pocket, so when he puts something in his pocket it just falls through to the floor, they are his favorite. So he was mad and I felt pretty bad. He told me that if I brought him a peanut butter bar (Mom's Restaurant Bars) I would be forgiven. BUT I had brought about 3 dozen bars to The Hawk earlier this week and gave them all away to the boys there. So I quick made something in the microwave that might have tasted a little bit like it in hopes of forgiveness. It wasn't quite the same so I was still on his "list".

He decided to take a nap and I got ready to go to a movie. We had originally planned on going to Monsters University but only the icky theatre had it playing. We decided to go to World War Z at Paragon Village instead. This was a good decision, because it was a much nicer theatre. We happened to text our friends Amber and Ian, who were planning on going to the exact same show at the same time, so we planned on meeting up with them. Chris woke up and said we should get going, so we put dogs away and headed out the door. We fought traffic to Fredericksburg, and it took a little longer than expected. We were running late when we got out of the vehicle and I realized Chris hadn't changed his shorts. I could an entire half of his underwear. He was NOT happy with me. He yelled, "See! Why did you have to rip my shorts?!!" Which I reciprocated with, "WHY do you have to take a nap before we go anywhere!?!" Luckily we were at a mall, so I told him to drop me off at Macy's so I could go find him a pair. When I got out of the car, we were both fuming.

I found a decent pair right away, got in line, bought the damn things and called him to come pick me back up. He pulled up in front of the store and I jumped in as I ripped off tags. Although we were both steaming from the ears, I couldn't help but laugh when he pulled up with his shorts around his ankles. And then when I started laughing, he started laughing. And then we weren't mad anymore.

He parked and put on shorts while I ran (yes, ran) into the theatre to get in line to buy tickets. He flashed me a hand signal as he passed on his way to grab snacks. We met up and ran down the hallway to the movie.

Thankfully, we only missed the part you've seen on the commercial about a thousand times.

World War Z was pretty good. I probably never need to see it again, and it really creeped me out, but I get nitpicky. You can tell that the movie took a long time to make, because there were a few of those moments where you are watching, and suddenly someone's arm isn't where it was a millisecond ago. (These things really bother me.) The movie did touch on some interesting points, and it did make me dislike Brad Pitt a little less. Like I said, pretty good. (The zombie thing is way too overdone. It's time to put it to rest.)

After the movie we had to tell our story to Amber and Ian, who laughed. Chris and I had originally planned to go to Park Lane Tavern for dinner, because I had a buy one, get one free entree for my birthday. We asked if they would like to go, and they were worried about imposing. Honestly, we do hang out almost every single day of the week, and I am completely fine with that. Typically, we leave each other alone for about one day a week. It seems weird if we aren't together the rest of the time.

Chris and Ian will be sending each other texts and I will just hear giggling. Amber swears that Ian giggles more at Chris' texts than he ever did at hers. They will leave each other at the end of the week, and then immediately want to hang out. So we spent my birthday with everyone at the bar, and then a restaurant. And we spent yesterday with Amber and Ian, first at the movie, then dinner, Wegman's (where we ran into Kelli and Alvin), and then at a couple of bars.

Fredericksburg SUCKS for nightlife. Honestly, in Omaha, there was ALWAYS somewhere to go, something to do, and a specific place to go depending on what you are in the mood for. We flitted around Olde Town looking for a place to dance and found nothing. Nothing but places that I was afraid of. It wasn't even my idea to stay out; Amber and Ian told us we needed to go out and celebrate my birthday. I had previously designated Chris as my driver and Amber said I needed to utilize that to the fullest.

We ended up at Capitol Ale House. We had heard that it was spendy but oh my gosh, for the experience, and the service? Fabulous. I tried so many beers yesterday. It started with a sampler at Park Lane and then at Capitol Ale House we passed around our beers. I would have to say that I may have new favorites:
Jeffersons Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout was fabulous.
Southern Tier's Creme Brulee was unbelievable. The smell, the taste, amazing. (10% ABV!)
Fuller, Smith, and Turner's London Pride really surprised me!
Blue Mountain's Dark Hollow reminded me of Empyrean's Porter; it tasted like home. :)
Maui Brewing Company's Coconut Porter was nice and chocolately.

Great night for beer, great night in the books. Spent my birthday weekend with fabulous people and really enjoyed myself all the way around.

I had not only enough to drink, but also had very heavy beers. This meant that true feelings came pouring out. Thus, the meaning behind the title of this blog. When I met all of these new people at TBS, I was terrified. I knew they were going to be around for awhile, so I didn't want to mess up. I didn't want to come on too strong. Regardless, I asked for Amber's number before I knew her name. I'm lucky it worked out that we became such good friends. I warned Amber last night that I needed to stop texting her on the way home because it was going to get lovey-dovey pretty soon. She pretty much said right back at ya, lots of love for sure, for realz, love you lots. My reply? "Me love you longtime, like, wtf would I do without you and all that business." Like she said, we are definitely on the same wavelength.

As much as I stressed about making friends here, it makes me really, really glad I never have to date again.

2 comments:

  1. hi. :) my husband is in the army at ft. benning. I received an email with your article kind of attached to it. 10 things about being a military spose. this is random but are kelli and alvin's last name hayes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's alright! Actually no, I haven't met anyone with that last name! And funny that another Kelli and Alvin found each other!

    ReplyDelete