Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Everything I Love About You

My husband is so sweet.

Sometimes he has selective hearing. Sometimes he leaves his dirty clothes all over the house. Sometimes he forgets to take out the garbage.

But he makes me happier than I could have ever imagined. On Monday, I learned how to cut up squid via YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05WufbZmu1I You're welcome. So I gagged while cutting up 5 oz. of squid. Chris called and asked what I was doing, and I told him. He became really grossed out and told me he was bringing someone else home for dinner. He didn't! But all the work, money, and time I put into dinner was not worth it-because my Seafood Lo Mein was so bland. Honestly, we will always order Chinese from now on. Even if there is a twenty-dollar delivery charge, it is still worth it.

Needless to say, I was very bitter about my dinner not turning out. I am SUCH a good cook (not to toot my own horn or anything) but it just comes easy to me. Sooooo, when my dinner didn't turn out I was very cranky. Chris knows how much it bothers me so he tried very hard to keep eating but I knew he hated it. So I let him off the hook and he found some leftovers. I was cranky for almost 24 hours until he came home and I felt so bad for being witchy. It's funny when you're home alone all day, because you have time to think about what you said/did and what you need to say/do to make up for it. I didn't even say "hi" when he walked in. What I said? An apology.

What I did? Made a dinner that more than made up for it. I can quote Chris on this one, "This tastes like something from a fancy restaurant." First, I hate carrots. That's probably partially why my eyes are in such terrible shape (and also genetics, thanks MA!). Coriander-glazed carrots are to die for. Delicious. The main course: portobella burgers with spinach pesto. Chris is not a huge fan of mushrooms but he did eat it! Which made me very happy. It was really not too expensive of a meal either, and who knew pesto was so easy to make? My Magic Bullet has become my best friend since my obsession with pesto and hummus was sparked.

I'm going to the pool today to hang out with the girls. Hopefully the rain doesn't come but it probably will. We've had rain almost every day for about four days, and it is supposed to continue all week. I signed up for severe weather alerts and my phone goes off almost every day. Nalli and Ruby enjoy that it is somewhat cool during the day because of this.

The rain and sun are great because my garden is shooting up like crazy! My tomatoes are kind of pear-shaped though so I'm not sure what that's about. My corn should be "knee-high by the Fourth of July". The bugs got after my cabbage, so we will see what happens to them. One strawberry plant thrives while the other dies, so we will see how that survives. Overall, I'm happy with what I'm seeing in my first garden.

I start my volunteer training with the Navy Marine Corps Relief Society next week. I couldn't be happier to have been accepted as a volunteer and begin working with them. They do a lot of really great things for our servicemembers, and I look forward to being a part of it.

http://nmcrs.org/about.html

Nalli's squirrel friend decided to walk along the fence a couple of houses down ours the other day. If Nalli could learn how to fly, she would.

I went over to Rachele's today to hang out with the girls by the pool. It was so horribly hot here today. 97 in June is just not my cup of tea. I liked it when it was about 75. I really need to take some extra time next time I shave my legs because I realized my knees look like coconuts. The girls talked about how I haven't burned, yet I still don't have any color. Sarah defined it best when she called my skin color, "neutral". They are all incredibly tan already. I'm so jealous.

I made Linguine with Garlic, Lemon, and Thyme for dinner with slices of baguette with a Gouda spread. NOW, if Chris would ever get his butt home we could enjoy it! He stayed back a little to study tonight. The tests are getting more difficult at TBS and I think Chris is going to have to start studying more.

He and I really need to get out and do stuff and see things, but usually on weekends he is just so tired! Hopefully we will make some plans and follow through with them soon.

4 comments:

  1. The perfect addition to your blog: EVERY RECIPE YOU MAKE! And videos of you playing the banjo. :) I'm glad you're staying busy and having fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also curious to see your recipes. I do a lot of Thai cooking, so I'm a bit curious as to how you made the Lo Mein (even if it was bland).

    Oh, and by the way, the idea that carrots help your eyesight is a myth. The UK government intentionally started it during WWII as a way to explain why their pilots had started shooting down so many German planes. They wanted the Germans to think that it's because they fed their airmen lots of carrots. (Rather than the new radar system they had just installed along the British coast.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh that is hilarious! I had no idea!

    Okay, l will start adding the reeeeeally good ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh that is hilarious! I had no idea!

    Okay, l will start adding the reeeeeally good ones. :)

    ReplyDelete