Sunday, June 30, 2013

How To Pass The Time, Part I

Well, Chris is gone. Again. Until the Fourth.

It sucks, but at the same time it's not the worst thing in the world. The Fourth of July is my favorite holiday, but Chris and I have never spent one together. We met in the Fall of 2010. The following summer my darling (at the time) boyfriend spent his Fourth of July at OCS. For weeks he read signs that said, "Hotdogs on the Fourth!" I didn't know a man could be so excited for hot dogs.

Turns out it was for everyone in charge, not the candidates.

So our first Fourth apart stunk. The following summer, Chris had an AT, two-week excursion, and you guessed it, over the Fourth of July AND my birthday, again. The following year he was able to attend my birthday but missed the Fourth of July, yet again. So THIS year is the year-and we are going to do it in style.

He'll be done sometime early in the morning and we will head up to D.C. with our friends. I can't believe that we get to be in D.C. for the Fourth! Our first one together in one of the most patriotic places in the U.S.

I showed him the present I have for him when he gets done with his first Field Experience because I couldn't keep it a secret anymore! We tried the Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple after our wedding last year and were so surprised by how much we loved it. This week I found this year's release: http://rogue.com/beers/voodoo-chocolate-peanut.php Yes. Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Ale. It's a real thing.

Chris' favorite things are peanut butter, banana, and chocolate. He was SO excited this morning when I showed it to him, which I had hoped he would! I'll make sure it's cold when he gets home.

So, in order to occupy my time until Christopher comes home, I am trying to stay busy. Work training should start this week, so that will help a lot. I am currently watching a ridiculous amount of Charmed, cleaning out the oven, and dogsitting Ben's dogs. So yes, there are four dogs running around the house today. And yes, that also means that Nalli will be poofed up like a ticked-off cat all day. Which is pretty hilarious to watch, especially when she gets protective of me. My puppy fever is cured (I hope you're happy Chris) because I forget that other dogs don't know you aren't allowed in the kitchen or on the furniture, so that's a battle little Emma and I have been fighting all day.

We made some ridiculously good food this weekend. We had to because we essentially had a little time on Friday to hang out and the majority of Saturday. Chris got off early on Friday but I was too busy running around getting my hair cut and my eye check-up. Friday night we went to Vinny's again for dinner, and about twenty Marines were there, some with wives or girlfriends. It was a lot of fun and loud. I drank wine. The beer snob in me won't let me drink anything that's not craft. It's really terrible because most places only carry the basics.

ANYWAY, after that we went to a place called Tim's Rivershore Restaurant. It's really gorgeous but a pain to get to. You have to drive like ten miles through skinny, winding roads, but it's worth it! It's right on the Potomac River and you can look across and see the lights of Maryland. It's gorgeous. The restaurant itself is really cool, with almost all of the walls full of windows. There are full bars outside and tons of seating, and the dining area turns into a dock and people just park their boats and walk up. On the other side of the restaurant is a beach with a giant fire pit. It is a very cool place and I can't wait to take my parents and brother there.

It was a fabulous and hilarious night. Chris' friends had enough shots so everyone was having a good time. My husband fell once. And then he tried to catch a kitty for me. And then he went out on the dock (without railings) and my motherly instinct kicked in. I did the super-fast "I'm on a mission" walk after him to make sure he didn't fall in the water. He wasn't that drunk but I just like to be safe.

We couldn't stop giggling on the way home because the other Chris was just as drunk. He had eaten a chicken strip covered in sand about half an hour prior. He was SUCH a chatterbox on the way home. He had us giggling, and then he said, "I ate a whole lot of sand." Morgan and I were in a fit. And then Chris started meowing like their cat. I told him to make a noise like his old cat, Geovany, and instead he said, "I just farted", which caused another giggle fit. The boys stayed awake until about the entrance of our neighborhood, and then the other Chris just flat out passed out. We couldn't stop laughing even if we wanted to. And when we got home, Chris had a bag stuck to his butt, which just kept us going. It was probably one of the best nights we have had at TBS.

Mom and I talked for about an hour yesterday and figured out the things we want to go see. We also figured out where we want to go eat! I feel like I have so much to show them but I do have to entertain for over a week! Chris, will, unfortunately be gone for five of the days on yet another FEX. I am SO proud of him for what he is doing, but I know he is ready to get this first FEX (Field Experience) over. He survived his first big billet as platoon commander, and for the most part I think he did a really good job. He's only been yelled at a couple of times so that's usually a good sign of doing well.

Back to staying busy, I plan on playing the banjo and trying to learn a song before Chris comes home. I also really want to sew coasters! I found Chris a little side table for him to put his TV and XBOX remotes on, so I wanted to get some coasters so the wood doesn't get ruined. It was $7.00 at Goodwill, after all! (Honestly, in it's near-brand-new shape, I really lucked out. As far as sewing, we'll see. So far it hasn't been the easiest thing I've done. I have been sewing Chris' pants by hand, mostly because the material is super thick but also because not only have the seams ripped, the fabric has, too. So sometimes sewing the crotch of my husband's pants is like sewing a patchwork quilt.

As far as the awesome food we made this weekend, we made T-Bones yesterday that were excellent. Chris is getting better and better at grilling. They were very simple, with a Chicago Steak seasoning and garlic butter. Our side was a goat cheese dip with chips; here's the recipe http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Goat-Cheese-Tomato-and-Pesto-Dip/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=goat%20cheese%20dip&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page.

The breakfast of the day was: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Toasted-Apple-Pecan-Brie-Sandwiches/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=apple%20pecan%20brie&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Recipe Which was DELICIOUS but if Gordon Ramsey saw the way that I butchered the Brie in attempt to remove the rind he would kill me. And resurrect me. And kill me again. Oops.

Dessert was to die for; in fact, I'm eating some right now. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/White-Chocolate-Raspberry-Cheesecake/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=white%20chocolate%20raspberry%20cheesecake&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Recipe
My poor cheesecake was not nearly this beautiful, but it was probably the best cheesecake I have ever eaten. Chris begged me for another piece but I wouldn't let him have any; I don't want him to get diabetes. :)

I'm sure there is more to write about, but for now, I think I am going to clean up a bit around the house and wait for the rain to come. Again. (It rains almost every day at 1500 here, apparently.












1 comment:

  1. Sooooo, since you didn't post that you had blogged, I did not realize you had!

    I knew most of this, since we did have that hour long talk, but it was fun to read about. I am getting very excited to come to Virginia!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete