Friday, June 21, 2013

Nobody Likes You When You're 23

Blink 182 was wrong. Apparently EVERYONE likes you when you're 23.
This was the first morning I didn't get up with Chris before he left for TBS. I didn't set my alarm and I let him go on his own. (He couldn't find anything to eat downstairs so he got McDonald's...hopeless!) He woke me up to kiss me goodbye and then decided to cover me in blankets and pillows? I was comfortable. I love all the blankets and pillows around me. He was just trying to be a brat. 

I woke up not too much later to get ready to go to the gym with Janice. She let me know she was running a bit late. I didn't think anything of it. She showed up a little late with this adorable balloon. 

It was SUCH a good start to my day. 


We went to the gym and I did arms, abs, and legs (again, weightlifting A.D.D.), and then headed home. Once I got home, I realized that I had some work to do in my yard as far as plants go. I needed to move some stuff, fill in some holes, and plant a couple more plants. I planted two more strawberry plants in the back garden. I got some pansies for the front, and a rosebush. I was trying to decide between a red and pink rosebush, and the pink one attacked my finger. SO! I took home a red one and planted it right outside the door.

I hope it doesn't die.

When I was at the nursery my new job called! They set up orientation for next week. I had to move around my eye appointment to fit it in, but next week will be a fun-filled and busy week! Orientation Tuesday and Wednesday, zoo on Thursday, eye appointment Friday. At the end of next week Chris will be relieved as platoon commander and I am sure he is excited! I just honestly can't believe (although it took six months) I will be making money as a nurse! It is a really fabulous feeling, especially considering my student loans kick in this month.

After I got everything planted and got all that figured out, I showered and got ready. My friend Sarah (the one I run with) took it upon herself to host a shindig for me at her house. She is so sweet. She was an elementary school teacher prior to moving here and it shows. She is so crafty, and she LOVES to celebrate birthday, and she just sets everything up so cute! So I walked in and saw this:


Be sure to look at the frame. I have amazing friends. They kept asking what I wanted to eat and drink and I didn't want to give any answers and they still managed to bring a great bunch of things together. The only hint I gave Sarah was moscato. And she bought moscato. My friend Lisa sat in traffic for two hours just to hang out with us.

I'm telling you. Amazing friends.

Here is Sarah's adorable cat, Angelo. He is SO cute!



During our little happy hour my dad called to tell me he loved me and to wish me happy birthday. He also told me that I was old. I cried. Not because that was mean but because I miss him a lot. Oofda. Being away is so weird. The girls knew just how I felt, too, but most of them have missed these occasions already so it's nothing new. They do, however, remember what it's like.

After Sarah's we headed to TBS because "The Hawk" (the TBS bar) was closing down after almost 40 years of being open. This is typically the bar where the lieutenants study and drink. For instance, at one point our Commandant did that there! They had cleaned out a lot of the things in the building already. Half of the building has been torn down for a while, there is mold in the ceiling, they quit restocking toilet paper... it wasn't a pretty sight. But as far as memories go, we needed to make a few. It was so nice hanging out with fifth and sixth platoon as well as some other people. We were able to meet Chris' Captain's wife-she seems great although we didn't get to talk much. She wants to do a "girl's day" at some point and I am really looking forward to that.

Morgan, Chris, Ian, Amber, Chris, and I

Only the Marines would have a building that is a bar on the bottom floor and two floors above that, a chapel. Honestly.

AFTER the Hawk, (yes, we party hard at 23+) we went to Vinny's for some grub. Chris and I ordered the same thing since we are now an old, married couple. On the drive over, Chris told me he had some bad news. Apparently he had tried to get a cake but was told that the bakeries around town were either booked up or sketchy, so he promised that at some point he was going to get me a cake. (He even asked his Captain where he could get me a cake!) Maybe we will look around tomorrow in Fredericksburg for a cupcake shop.

It was a fabulous birthday.

It ended with my husband snoring next to me, Nalli wanting to play, and a voicemail from my brother Blaise (who has autism), "Hi, hi, hi, hi, hi. Happy, happy birthday. Happy 23rd birthday. Love you!!"
(Of course you can hear my dad in the background cueing him the whole time. Doesn't matter-it was so cute.)

Thank you everyone for the calls, voicemails, cards, Facebook posts, texts, snapchats, etc. that I received during the day. I felt really loved, and that is so special to me.



1 comment:

  1. So happy your birthday was fun, Mo! You DO have fabulous friends, and that was so sweet of them.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete