Sunday, June 9, 2013

Sheila's Vacation

Chris and I just did the math; it seems my parents come to visit in about two months and twenty days with my brother. He and I took the dogs on a walk after I gave him a haircut. It was really nice out because it had just rained a little so it was cool and there were some people outside enjoying the bearable weather. We are planning on doing a lot while they are here; most Chris won't be able to join on but we are going to catch one of the last shows the Marine Corps Silent Drill will put on this season. They, of course, want to see all of the monuments so we will have to do that one day. I am hoping there will be less construction next time we are there. Chris will have to go along for the Smithsonian because he has been looking forward to the dinosaur exhibit for years. I feel like taking him there will be like taking a kid to a candy store.

I joined a few new Facebook groups in order to learn more information about the area this week. One of them is for Quantico spouses. I had to laugh because there was a girl who posted about the toads she keeps seeing everywhere that are about the size of a penny. She thought they were frogs and I'm sitting there thinking..."Girl, let me tell you about toads..."

Sheila could attest to that.

Chris and are I are about to settle down to some Netflix and fall asleep. Yes, we go to bed while it is still light out. We're old and married and that's how we are supposed to live now. Besides! We are tired. We grilled horseradish-crusted NY strip steaks and cabbage tonight and Chris braved forty-five minutes at the pool earlier today. He is trying to work on his tan lines. Parts of Chris that are tan: head, neck, hands. Parts that are not: everything else. He does like to show off his wedding ring tan line. I'm jealous because lately all I have done is sit outside and drink and what do I have to show for it? I am not sure what to call it because I wouldn't call it tan. I am going to go with "not white". Blame genetics. We got in the pool once. He was not impressed by how cold the water was so I leaped in while holding onto his arm, hoping he would fall in after me, but to no avail.

I had about ten people over on Friday for drinks and snacks. It was my friend Kelli's birthday, so I made her Cinnamon Toast Crunch cupcakes (without knowing that was her favorite cereal) with green candles and Midori mixed drinks. There was lots of green which was perfect because that's her favorite color. I plan better than I think, especially considering the fact that I was on the verge of an anxiety attack prior to that. I had to run a couple of errands, including dropping my car off for an oil change and faxing some things for a job application, plus get food, drink, and house ready. This was my FIRST get-together ever hosting by myself, with more than just a couple of friends, in my very own home. Chris and I have always lived with other people. This is our first home.

When you're hosting your first party you worry about stupid things, and maybe some not-so-stupid things. I found myself thinking... "Do I have enough snacks? Enough to drink? Enough chairs? Do I need to clean more? What does my house smell like?" I do this a lot, where I work myself up over nothing but it can only get easier from here.

It was a great turnout and I think we all had a lot of fun, considering everyone stayed until their spouse was released for the day. Once again, we love to hang out with each other, but as soon as we have the opportunity to run to our significant other's arms, we do.

Speaking of "opportunities", if anyone watches the Office you will understand this scenario. Chris and I prepare to do his weekly haircut. I can tell he is about to say something to him so I interrupt and tell him, "NOT. A word." He replied, "I really appreciate that you are cutting my hair." My response? "I am so glad to have the opportunity to cut your hair."

After the haircut we took both dogs on a walk. It's usually a disaster because they get tangled with each other a thousand times and with posts/mailboxes another thousand times. Still, it makes them happy so we have to go once in a while.

Chris was standing in the kitchen today, snooping in the refrigerator. I quietly snuck down the stairs and up behind him. I grabbed him around the waist and yelled, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" He was so afraid he screamed and fell on the ground. Hilarious. (He saw me type that and stormed out of the room.)

About five minutes later, karma came after us. The doorbell rang and Chris and I looked down, realizing we were both in our underwear. C'mon, it's Sunday. I took off upstairs, leaving Chris, in his boxers, to answer the door to some Jehovah's witnesses with their small child. Hopefully they won't come back.

Chris and I went to Kelli's house yesterday where they were having a birthday party and get-together for sixth platoon and Kelli's friends. Her husband is such a sweetheart. He ordered a birthday cake for her with fresh strawberry filling, and the frosting was in their wedding colors. It was delicious! I was so sad because I brought along my cupcakes, and in the car they were too warm so the frosting just slid right off the top. I sloppily threw them back together. It was nice hanging out with some of our friends and their significant others as well as a couple of Marines Chris has worked with in sixth platoon. I think he said that one of them was in the pits with him during range week. We didn't stay long (although I REALLY wanted to) because Chris wanted to study for their upcoming exam with his other friend Chris (who also weighs 200+ pounds and is over 6'3). They are quite a pair. They are instigators and are constantly trying to out-eat and out-drink each other. Sort of like the Missouri version of Craig.

I made Chris half an hour late so he was a bit crabby at me. He had every right to be because I promised we would be back by 1600 and we weren't. After dropping him off I went home to get my swimsuit and then sat by Chris' wife, Morgan, at the pool while she worked. She had a long shift so I thought I'd help her pass the time. Rachele and Austin came to hang out a little later, as did Chris-squared, so we sat around the pool drinking until we decided that we wanted to go have dinner at Mick's here in town.

I was really irritated when we first walked in because it was loud and the hostesses were shouting out to each other about what they were going to do after work while we tried to talk to them, but our waiter was really nice and the beer was good. The food was delicious-it's the first thing I have eaten in Stafford and actually felt it was worth the money. (Okay, Jin's Garden is really good as well.) We had been going to Pancho Villa but it was always expensive and not that appetizing. The DJ was playing old-school dance songs and we were getting our boogie on in a corner booth, drinking Raging B*tch IPA (delicious).

We made ourselves stay out until almost 2300, but then you could tell everyone was crashing. Like I said, we are old farts.

I am fairly certain Chris is hiding in the house, waiting for me to come look for him so he can jump out and scare me as payback for this post. He can just go right ahead and do that. <3

1 comment:

  1. I totally enjoyed this post! Sorry, Chris, but I laughed again at your falling on the ground after she scared you. :)

    My vacation is sounding wonderful! We cannot wait!

    We should ask Mrs. Schnell if she remembers that honking toad you brought to school? I think it was the size of a dinner plate and it was so big it kind of even freaked you, The Toad Girl, out. LOL

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete