Tuesday, June 18, 2013

First World Problems

First First World Problem:
I wanted to go to the commissary today, so naturally, it started raining right when I was about to walk out the door. I swear, it rains almost every single day that I want to go to the commissary.

Second First World Problem:
I waited 8 microwave minutes for a Lean Cuisine with one tiny eggroll.

Third First World Problem:
I buy my favorite Simply Raspberry Lemonade when it's on sale at the commissary and then freeze it. Today I was desperate for some so I was literally squeezing my own lemonade from the frozen bottle.

Okay, my pity party is over because CHRIS COMES HOME TONIGHT!!!

I slept with a shirt sprayed with his cologne last night. It's just not the same. And I fought myself inviting Nalli into the bed. It just seems SO big when it's just me, and we only have a Queen. I guess it's just that Chris only gives me a tiny bit of room when he's here. I didn't end up letting her because I just don't want to break the habit again.

I spent the majority of yesterday baking in preparation for the potluck our friend Kat hosted. I have so much fun baking and seeing people enjoy what I make that I usually go way overboard. I made four desserts:
Caramel Cranberry Bars (Taste of Home, Quick Cooking 2008)
Coffee'n'Cream Brownies  (Taste of Home's Contest Winning Recipes, 2010)
Creamy Cashew Brownies  (Taste of Home's Contest Winning Recipes, 2010)
Restaurant Bars (From Sheila :))

I'd be happy to send the recipes to anyone who is interested, but highly suggest you buy the cookbooks because they are full of great stuff! I've bought a few cookbooks since we moved here, but I don't regret that because I have learned a TON from them already. My favorite is "Weber's New Real Grilling". This book is fabulous because it breaks it down by meat, sides, desserts, marinades, rubs, and sauces. Chris and I love it because we haven't grilled much, and it really breaks everything down for you.
Second purchase was Rachael Ray's "The Book of Burger". I bought it because it had a portabella mushroom burger recipe in it I just couldn't pass up. That was the dinner that Chris said "tasted like it came from a fancy restaurant". Everything looks amazing in it. And she has a copycat recipe for Big Macs, which is on my list of things I HAVE to make.
Third, "Great EASY Meals" by Food Network Magazine. I picked up this book because we have been trying to step out of our comfort zone to try new and fun foods. Things like rutabaga which is absolutely delicious-who knew? But this book has recipes for Eggplant with Peanut Dressing and Coriander Roasted Carrots. This was the carrot recipe I made last week that I had no idea I would like so much. I don't like carrots! So I can at least thank the book for that.

The potluck had a great turnout. There was a bunch of really delicious food and as always, great company. The best part about all of us is that we are all funny and all have stories we can relate to. I have so much fun watching all the little ones running around. And eventually someone is bound to drop some "birth control" in your lap; it happened to me yesterday when Tara came over and dropped her daughter in my lap and said, "These girls need some birth control". It doesn't really work when the kid is so flipping cute, but still.

It's still pouring. I just saw a little lightning. And now thunder. It's really coming down, so it doesn't look like I will be leaving soon. Also, we are in a Flash Flood Watch. I get a weather alert of this nature almost every single day, so it's not a weird thing. I like the rain! Rain is my friend for two very important reasons.
1.) The rain washes my car so I don't have to. (Dirty car means that my dad will send telepathic thoughts to my brain like, "Youuuuu should take better care of your caaaaaar.)
2.) I don't have to water the garden. Best thing ever.

Also, I don't think I'm going to the commissary. At least not for a while.

I probably got enough shopping in for the week. Yesterday I RAN out the door to Wal-Mart because I saw a hummingbird in the backyard and I realized I didn't have a feeder or food for it! So I just bought a nice little plastic feeder and a bottle of the nectar. Honestly, it looks and smells exactly like Hawaiian Fruit Punch. I know that if I leave it on the counter, when Chris comes home he will definitely try to drink it.

After that I had to drop off Chris' dry-cleaning.

And then I went to TJ Maxx. Such a bad idea. The clearance rack was full of things that were cute and fit me. So I came home with some new workout clothes and shirts. Yay! I'm trying to upgrade my wardrobe to be a little bit more my age. I shouldn't have so many clothes that I can't wear out with Chris. It's great for the neighbor girl because I just bring stuff over to her all of the time. :)

I didn't work out today. I feel like such a turd.

Are you ready for the FOURTH First World Problem?

When I finally decided to go to the commissary, the Heavens opened and the rain fell. I decided to wait until the rain let up, only to find that traffic running in the opposite direction was slowed due to construction and an accident (meaning my drive home would be a disaster). When I pulled up to base, everything was closed because the power was off. The base's power goes off almost every time it rains, so I shouldn't have been surprised. Luckily the dinner I had planned didn't really need anything, but it would have been nice to just be done with my grocery shopping for the week. Anywho, there were a few people cowering under the awning in front of the store waiting to see if they could get in, but the doors were blocked off and one of the baggers was yelling, " No power! We no have power! We closed!" So I just had to laugh as I walked back to my car.

Traffic on the drive home sucked. Base traffic was terrible, traffic right outside of the base was terrible, and it was bad on the way home due to construction/accidents. It took me an hour to get absolutely nothing done.

WELL! Dinner is in the oven. Mother's meatloaf recipe with a little touch of Gordon Ramsey as well as sweet-potato fries tossed in truffle oil. Should be utter deliciousness!


Why do my dogs live to irritate me? Ruby goes into the garden and eats my corn plants, then turns around and throws them up. I just watched Nalli walk up to a picture frame and stick her nose on the glass. Are you kidding me? Dogs.




3 comments:

  1. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

    I laughed all the way through this post!
    1. Hummingbird nectar and Hawaiian Punch probably have the same amount of sugar in them.
    2. Telepathic Dad. 'Nuff said.
    3. "No power! We have no power! We closed!" Hahahahahahahahaha!
    5. I LOVE eggplant. Nick and Dad will be happy to test your Big Mac recipe.
    6. Restaurant bars are delish. Of course, I have not tried those others, since you never baked anything when you lived at home.
    7. Do people know my name is Sheila? :D

    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! 8. Nalli's nose! Made me think of the dog drool on my window when she leaves.

    Now I miss her. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris came home and I warned him about what the nectar was and he told me he honestly probably would have drank some if I had left it on the counter.
    Don't tell telepathic Dad-of course, he probably already knows.
    I will be glad to cook and bake for you so stop complaining!
    They do now!
    Nalli can smear up your rental car when you come visit!

    ReplyDelete