Sunday, June 2, 2013

Banjo Birthday

Although my birthday isn't for almost a month, my husband is such a sweetheart and surprised me with my birthday gift today. I should have known because he surprised me this early last year as well when he bought me my iPhone.

I am pretty oblivious sometimes. Chris said he was going to go to Stafford Uniform and then go grab his guitar from the barracks, so I thought nothing of it when he came into the house with my birthday gift. He set it down in the living room and I was in the other room planning out the menu for the week. He was talking to me from the other room about the stuff we needed to get done this weekend. He asked me to give him a massage so I went over and sat on his back and rubbed it for a while, all the while sitting next to the banjo and not knowing it was right next to me.

This attempt to make me notice didn't work, so Chris went downstairs and sat on the floor and got his phone ready to record me coming down the stairs. Then he yelled up and asked, "MoMo, can you bring my guitar down here, please?" I obliged and laughed at him for taping me because I thought he was videoing me being "trained", but he was actually seeing how long it would take me to figure it out. The fact that the banjo case was a completely different shape, size, and weight didn't really phase me. I noticed it felt different but just figured I hadn't picked it up in a while. The fact that the thread was orange didn't phase me, but I still set it down next to Chris and sat next to him.

He asked me if I would play "Stay" on the guitar for him, and I said I would if I could remember it. So I reached over and as I did...I realized and said out loud, "This.........is not a GUITAR!" Chris cracked up. It was like our engagement all over again. It took me HOURS to notice the ring box in my purse. He should have known how oblivious I can be!

Needless to say, my husband is safe from the naughty list for quite a while.

Well, until today. It was haircut day, as usual on Sunday. Chris wanted to make sure I "didn't make it too motivated". Well guess what? That means it got too motivated it. Because that always jinxes it! It never fails. Well now he looks a little more motivated than he wants to, but it's probably appropriate, seeing as how he is going to be platoon commander soon. I think he is nervous, but I am excited for him because I know he will excel. He always does.

Last night on the grill we made honey lemon chicken thighs. They were absolutely amazing and Chris and I are so proud of ourselves when something turns out on the grill. I have chicken legs marinating in the refrigerator right now for Greek chicken wings with cucumber sauce. I was hoping for something light so I am thinking those should turn out well.

Chris was let loose Friday night in the wee hours of the morning, but early enough to run to Taco Bell with his friends. This is usually not allowed because I have to deal with the aftermath, but after the week he had, I can't really stop him.

The cicadas are horrible. I saw Nalli eat at least three the other day and another three today. She loves them, and it is disgusting! One flew at me while I was outside today and I dropped everything I had an ran. I don't think they would be so bad if it weren't for the noise they make! Chris has been working on his impression of them. They make a different noise when they are flying in to land on you. He actually had one in his helmet while he was trying to shoot this week. He said it was terrifying and disgusting but he had to keep going.

Earlier this week we went to get pedicures. If I have any self esteem, it is always gone by the time I leave a nail salon. I have large feet that are gross because I don't have time to make them look nice and they rub in all of my shoes. So when the lady looks at my feet and asks, "You cut these yourself?" I say yes and she shakes her head.And then when she looks at them and says, "You paint yourself?, I say yes and again she shakes her head. Self esteem-out the window.

So far I have figured out how to play Yankee Doodle and Bunny Foo Foo on the banjo. I'm not taking leaps of learning here, but at least I'm learning!

Chris has a meeting later he has to go to the barracks for, but then he will be back to hang out for a little while before I lose him for the week. It will be so weird to have him home during the night! I can't remember what it's like he's been gone so long! I have also realized I am terrible at feeding him lunch, because I'm not used to doing it. Luckily we have had lots of leftovers for him to browse through.

1 comment:

  1. LOL! The poor guy! He was texting me and saying you had walked past it for an hour. I asked how close you had been. He said about a foot, at least a couple of times, besides. He said he didn't know what to do anymore. I said to maybe get out his guitar and start playing and you would see your banjo was still sitting there. He said his guitar was at the barracks. I said, "Hmmmmmmmm. Unless you go to another room and call for her to bring your guitar?" He said, "I'm doing it lol". I said "Take video".

    Gosh, what you put him through! And then he sent me the video, which was so cute!

    Bunny Foo Foo sounded awesome. :)

    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA on the feet! Sorry, but that is funny, Mo!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete